History of the House
This house was owned and operated by T. J. Marston and his wife as a boarding house in the late 1800's to the early 1900's. Over the ensuing years, the upper two floors continued to accept boarders while the downstairs retail shop entertained several uses. It was an ice cream parlor, an optometrist's office, and a photography business. In the 1930's Raymond Miller, a former mayor of Edinburg, opened the Edinburg Printing Company, which he operated until 1991. Eventually, he bought the print shop building he had been leasing including the four rental apartments on the upper levels. In the mid 1990's, David and Nancy McDonald began renovations on the building to convert the second and third floors to a single family residence while maintaining the retail space on the first floor. In 2005, Bill and Donna Smith purchased the home and continued the renovations and initiated additional improvements before opening the Edinburg Renaissance B & B.